Networking is an effective and beneficial communication with valuable contacts, by carrying out which you can:
- Be exposed to hidden positions which are not available on the website or advertisement
- Demonstrate your capabilities, skills, initiative and strengths and then enhance your visibility
- Have a grasp of first-hand information from existing professionals
- Help clarify your career goal and test your expectations regarding a specific sector
- Excavate voluntary or internship opportunities which help improve your marketability.
Seeing the advantages associated with networking, it is the highlight to be on your way towards building and expanding your network. Some tips for getting started as follows:
- Making the most of the alumni system provided by many universities.
- The previous graduates may have already developed a career in an industry which fits in your interest and skills.
- Attending careers presentations, conferences, fairs and workshops.
- This is one of the most efficient and easiest strategy to establish a host of new contacts in the short term. In some events organized in places like café, the informal and relaxing environment tends to contribute to more responsible contacts. Here, it would be highly recommended to make notes of contact lists and then, more importantly, follow them up via message or email.
- Browsing Discussion Boards and forums which are wealthy in current news relating to particular companies.
- It is crucial to do research beforehand so as to show your knowledge about and attention to the company, thereby making sense of sensible questions with answers not easily being found on the corresponding company website.
When you are in an actual conversation, it is worth remembering the followings:
- Focusing on nurturing a relationship with every new contact, instead of considering them as a potential employer. It is well-advised to demonstrate your genuine interest and appreciation on their advice.
- Introducing yourself in a professional way. Be aware of a kind smile and firm handshake, being confident and attentive.
- Asking open questions. It is the open questions which will guarantee the talk to continue, not like those requiring just “yes” or “no”.
In a nutshell, it is of substantial significance to work on networking in order to help you move towards your desired career pursuit.